Volume 15, Issue 27
March 26th 2015
The photograph above shows some chick baskets made by Junior Infants.
School will close at 12 noon tomorrow Friday 27th March & will re-open on Monday 13th April- Easter Holidays.
All visitors to the school must report to Reception. Visitors need to make an appointment to see the Principal.
Names & Money now being taken for after school basketball clubs. Easter to summer term. Cost €18 per child. Names and money to office. This will run until the summer holidays.
Reminder: School milk can be ordered before 12 noon tomorrow Friday. Cost €17 per child. Names and money to office.
The second round is on in St Paul’s N.S. in Dooradoyle this morning. Clodagh Hannan is representing LSP. We wish her all the best.
We would like to remind parents of the procedures for making a complaint in the Limerick School Project. Below is an excerpt from the Parents Booklet we give all parents when their child joins the Limerick School Project for the first time.
Complaints Procedure: If you have a query or concern regarding a school matter relating to your child, this is the procedure to follow:
1) Always go to the class teacher first. In most cases, concerns can be resolved at that level. The teacher will inform the principal of any serious complaints.
2) If, at that stage, you feel that the issue has not been resolved, you are welcome to make an appointment with the Principal to discuss the matter.
3) If you still feel unhappy with the outcome, you can then bring your concerns to the Board of Management of the school. In order to do this, the concerns must be put in writing to the Chairperson of the BOM.
Everyone in 4th class would like to wish Alex Breathnach the very best as he goes on stage in the Lime Tree Theatre as ‘Gavroche’ from Les Miserables with the ‘MIDAS’ Company. As they say in acting ‘break a leg’.
Design a hat parade will take place at 10.30am tomorrow. We’re hoping every pupil will join in (and parents are welcome too!).
Reminder: please return your POD forms if you have forgotten to do so already. Any parent who refuses to fill in the form must put this in writing to the principal, stating the reasons why this is so and the letter must be signed and dated.
‘Magic of the Musical’s dvds can still be ordered. Please give your name and €15 to Louise. DVDs will arrive after Easter break.
Minutes for the February Board of Management meeting can be found here
Parent Teacher Association News
- Calling all Gardeners!
This years Plant and Cake Sale takes place on Friday May 15th. Planting has now begun in all the classes. We are looking for donations from home. If you are starting some planting and seed sowing over the Easter break why not consider growing a few extra for the school fundraiser on May 15th. Vegetables, flowers, herbs, etc.
All donations/contributions greatly appreciated.
- The Great Limerick Run UL Kids Run takes place on Saturday May 2nd at University of Limerick. Trainers from LIT are now visiting the school and working with the children. Their first session began this week and was a great success. There will be several more training sessions after the Easter holidays. The registration fee is €12. €5 of the fee goes to the participant’s primary school – so don’t forget to put LSP’s name on the form! A donation will also go to Special Olympics Ireland, and all participants will receive a race T-shirt and medal.
If you would like to register your child/children in the Kids Run go to www.greatlimerickrun.com
- A Second Level School Meeting was held on Thursday March 19 A working group/committee was set up to devise a strategy to establish an Educate Together second level school in limerick. Updates to follow. If anyone is interested in getting involved or would like further information, email email@example.com
25th Anniversary Concert
- Production costs:
- Star Systems €1,500
- Musicians €0,860
- Lime Tree €2,400
- DVDs & recording €1,400
- Lime Tree €6,764.60
(353 attended 1st night,
409 on 2nd night)
- DVDs €2,069.00
- Parent Teacher €2,000.00
(Raffle & Programmes)
- School Council
(Valentine Fair) €00,450.00
Total Income €11,283.60
This will go towards the 25th Anniversary Book
Volume 15, Issue 26
March 19th 2015
The photograph above shows some of the beautiful silk flowers made by the 5th and 6th class children for the St. Patrick’s Day parade.
School will close at 12 noon on Friday 27th March & will re-open on Monday 13th April- Easter Holidays.
Some of the pupils in 5th and 6th class took part in the St. Patrick’s Day parade last Tuesday. They carried giant flowers and silk flags that they made with artist Joanne McGlynn. They added some lovely colour to the parade on a sunny day. Well done and thanks to all who participated or helped especially Helena, Valerie, Rebecca, Simone, Tara, Jenni and Mairead, and Collette who coordinated the workshops and participation.
On Friday 13th March, LSP boys and girls basketball team headed to Scoil Mhathair Dé. The girls played first and won the match 19-4. The boys then played and won 35-4. Everyone on the teams played great! It was the boys 2nd match of the season & the girls 1st match. Thanks to Michelle for organising the match & to Ger O’C and Anne for bringing us up to Scoil Mhathair Dé. By David O’Donovan (V)
We ran a Spelling Bee yesterday for 5th and 6th class. There were many entrants and a high standard so it was a difficult task to finally choose one pupil to represent LSP in the next round.
Clodagh Hannan, 6th class, LSP, will take part in the next stage of the competition on Thursday 26th March in St. Paul’s N.S in Dooradoyle. Best of luck to Clodagh and a big thank you to all who took part.
Names & money being taken for school milk for term 3. Cost €17 per child. Names & money to office by Friday next 27th March
Names & money being taken for final afterschool basketball clubs of the year. These commence after Easter and will run until summer holidays. Cost €18 per child. Names and money to Louise.
Past Pupils Reunion
As part of our 25th Anniversary celebrations, we are hoping to contact as many past pupils (over 18s only) and parents as possible to join us on April 18th 2015 in LSP at 6pm for an informal chat and a look at old photos and memorabilia in the school hall and afterwards in Dolans. We have a Facebook page and Twitter account with details but please spread the word.
Dr. Maureen Griffin, B.A. M.A. Ph.D Forensic Psychologist
Dr. Maureen Griffin has been invited by our Board of Management to talk to our parents about Internet Safety on Tuesday 28th April 2015.
She will speak about social networking, online gaming, cyber-bullying, and mobile phone safety and will provide an overview of what is currently popular among students, what the potential dangers are and practical advice on how to protect children when they are online or using their mobile phone.
The talk is not about blocking content online; it is more about teaching children how to be responsible when online, by making parents aware of the dangers and highlighting some practical tips.
This could be the most important meeting that you attend this year.
Congratulations to Carole Gurnett, (homework club co-ordinator & past parent) on publishing her first novel ‘The Curtain Falls’
The Mobile Library will be here Monday next 23rd March.
Parent Teacher Association News
SECOND LEVEL SCHOOL MEETING TONIGHT @ 7pm
There will be a second level school meeting held in the school tonight at 7pm in the limerick school project school. the purpose of this meeting will be to look at pathways to attaining a secondary schooling for our children with an educate together ethos. This is a follow up meeting to the one that was held before Christmas; all interested parents are asked to come along and also to pass the information onto other parents who may be interested.
Tai Chi classes continue every Thursday and are going great.
Plant and Cake Spring Fair 15th May 2015
The spring fair will take place in May; we are looking for people to donate some plants for the fair, so if you are thinking of doing this, it would be good to start planting soon so as they will be ready around the time of the fair.
We are also looking for plant pots ;if you have spare plant pots that you could give to the committee to use for planting that would be much appreciated. there will be a box inside front door from next week onwards.
Down Syndrome Ireland are publishing a book and one of our pupils Fionn Donnelly (Rang IV) features in this book. This book was spoken about on The Saturday Night Show last Saturday 14th March.
We’re planning a Design a Hat Parade that will take place on Friday, 27th March, the day of the holidays. We’re hoping every pupil will join in (and parents are welcome too!) All you need to do is design and make a hat at home for the parade. Be as creative as possible and use recycled materials or any bits and pieces you can find.
We will have some samples to show early next week and the School Council will be available to advise and provide material and bits and pieces.
If you can’t find anything at home, Tiger/ Euro stores have lots of craft materials at the moment. What we really want to see is your original ideas as they are always the best. Start planning!
Parent Teacher Association
Monthly Updates – February
During the month of February the following took place:
- The Parent Teacher Association invited the Minister for Education Jan O’Sullivan to LSP for the opening of the Time Capsule on February 9th. The Time Capsule was buried when LSP first opened and now in its 25th year it was recovered and opened to mark this momentous occasion. Pupils both past and present celebrated the Ministers visit and the schools 25th year in both song and word.
- An Open Forum was held for all parents and guardians on Monday 9th of February. This was an opportunity for parents to learn more about the Parent Teacher Association, to bring an idea, to raise an issue or ask a question. There was a very low turnout from parents but a very productive discussion took place.
- A Coffee Morning was held for parents and guardians on Friday the 6th.
- The Parent Teacher Association produced the programme and poster for the Magic of the Musicals and ran the raffle on both nights. Funds raised from these will go towards the cost of putting on the show. The Parent Teacher Association would like to thank all those who sponsored raffle prizes, Liz Nolan for MC-ing, and all those who volunteered to sell raffle tickets and programmes over the two nights.
- LSP Parent Teacher Association has taken out membership with the National Parents Council (NPC).
- There was another joint meeting between the Board of Management and the Parent Teacher Association.
- The Parent Teacher Association committee, at the request of the Board of Management, reviewed the policy Transition to Second Level.
- The Parent Teacher Association has arranged that Tai Chi instructor John Sheehan will commence Tai Chi classes on Thursday February 26th. Tai Chii will be taught to all the years from junior up to sixth, and will run for eight weeks. Students are asked to wear loose clothing and soft shoes or runners (the plimsoles worn on the stage for the “Magic of the Musicals” would be suitable). Information about Tai Chi has been published in the Nuacht and will be posted on the school website.
- Workshops regarding the school playground will take place with all the classes. Children will be asked to imagine how they would like to see the schoolyard improved and enhanced. What is important to them when it comes to yard time? Workshops will commence in early March.
- The Parent Teacher Association will be arranging another open meeting regarding an Educate Together second level school for limerick.
- The Parent Teacher Association will run the Plant and Cake Sale in mid May.
- The Parent Teacher Association will run a “Yard Party” for all the children to celebrate the school’s 25th year. This will take place towards the end of June. We hope to have a number of entertainers, activities, etc. If anyone has any ideas they would like included or suggestions for the party please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Great Limerick Run Kids Run takes place on Saturday the 2nd May in UL. The Parent Teacher Association has now signed up LSP for the Great Limerick Run Kids Run training programme. If you would like your child to participate in the Kids Run registration is now open and costs €12 to register, €5 of each entry will be donated to the child’s primary school. It is important that the school’s name is entered into the registration form. A contribution will also be donated to the Special Olympics. Go to greatlimerickrun.com
- €1,000 of funds raised so far this year by the Parent Teacher Association will be distributed amongst the classes. This will go towards classroom resources.
If anyone has an idea for an event, a talk, an activity or would simply like to get in touch, you can email email@example.com
The PTA committee invite Parents and Guardians to attend an open meeting. Monday 9th Feb, 7-8pm, LSP Staffroom
- Do you have an idea for an event?
- Do you wish to raise/bring an issue you are concerned about?
- Do you want to ask a question?
- Do you wish to get to know the PTA committee?
If you need any further information about the meeting please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday 6th February, 8.30 – 9.30am, Outside LSP Staffroom.
The next LSP Parent Teacher Association Coffee Morning takes place on Friday the 6th February at 8.30am outside LSP staffroom. Coffee mornings are open to the whole school community. It is a great opportunity to chat with other parents, and to start your day with a nice cup of coffee or tea. This is free event and all are welcome.
PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION – MONTHLY UPDATES JANUARY
The PTA would like to welcome everyone back to a new term at LSP. The committee had its first meeting of the year this week and at that meeting the figures for the Winter Fair were finalised. We are excited to announce that the amount of money raised by the fair was €3,700. This demonstrates both how successful the fair was, and the level of commitment and engagement by the school community with the fair. The money will be used to fund extracurricular activities and events for the school community over the rest of the year. With that in mind we would like to outlay some of the events that we will be organising over the coming months:
- The PTA has arranged Tai Chi classes for all the children at LSP . A Tai Chi instructor will attend the school and classes will commence the end of February, and run for 8 weeks. More information on this event will be posted in February.
- The PTA will contribute €1000 from moneys raised towards classroom resourses.
- As part of the 25th year celebrations, the PTA will be organising a “Yard Party” for the children. This will take place in June (date to be confirmed) and will be run during regular school time. More information on this event will be posted nearer the date.
- The school is organising “the Magic of the Musicals” concert where all classes will perform on stage at the Limetree Theatre – Tickets for the event can be bought from the Limetree website. The PTA’s contribution will be organising the programme for the event and also running a raffle on both nights.
- The Plant and Cake Spring Fair will be held in mid-May (date to be confirmed.)
- Two further coffee mornings will be held between now and the end of the school year. The next one takes place on the 6th of February from 8.30am outside the staff room. Coffee mornings are open to the whole school community and we would encourage people to come along. It is a great opportunity to chat with other parents, chat to the committee and also have a nice cup of coffee/tea.
- The PTA has commenced a project looking at the school yard and the possible ways of making it a more engaging space for the children. With that in mind, workshops will be run with the children to get some insight into how they view the yard and their ideas as to how the yard could be enhanced as an activity space.
- The PTA committee will hold an open meeting for parents / guardians at its next committee meeting on the 9th February in the staff room of the LSP. This is an opportunity for parents/guardians to bring an idea for an event, to raise/bring an issue they are concerned about, ask a question, or simply get to know the committee. The time of this meeting will be announced nearer the date.
PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION – MONTHLY UPDATE – NOVEMBER
- The Winter fair is in its final week of preparation and will kick off on Sunday December 7th at 1pm. Volunteers are still being sought to help out on the day, contact email@example.com
- The Committee has now completed a working draft of a constitution for the Parent Teacher Association. This will be used as a reference for the workings of the committee. It will be brought to the AGM for ratification
- There is ongoing disscussion regarding the events which will take place in the New Year. Presently the Committee is working at having Tai Chi classes for all the classes in the spring which will run over a couple of weeks.
- Planning is ongoing for a “Yard Party” to mark the 25th celebrations at LSP for the pupils, to be held towards the end of the school year.
- The Parent Teacher Association and the Board of Management held a joint meeting where discussions were held on various topics and issues. Key was the way both committees could enhance their working partnership.
- A coffee morning was held on the 14th of November for all parents/guardians, whilst attendance was small, there was good discussion and chat amongst those present. The next coffee morning will be announced in the new year
- The Committee is also working on a “school yard” project …more to be revealed in the new year.
If you have ideas for events, discussions, talks etc send them into the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org