This Thursday (4th February) at 8pm in the South Court Hotel, Raheen, Educational provider Educate Together will give a presentation on what they offer as a provider of second level school patronage in Limerick. If you are interested in an equality based, learner centred, democratically run and co-educational second level school education for your children come and along. Speakers on the night will include
- Emer Nowlan, Chief Operating Officer Educate Together
- Gerard O Leary, Principal Celbridge Community School (an educate together second level school that opened August 2015)
For further information on Educate Together visit http://www.educatetogether.ie/
Parent Teacher Association
Monthly Updates – May/June
- The Poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice visited the school on May 7th. This event was really enjoyed by the children and cost €150.
- The Plant and Cake Sale was held on the 15th This was a great success and was well supported by the LSP community and raised approx €1,850.
- The Second Level School campaign is now well underway. Parents from both LSP and LETS in Mungret have now formed a committee. Expression of Interest forms were made available in the school foyer and sent home in school bags. To date there are approx 350 Expressions of Interest. There is now a website were you can express your interest. Also Facebook and Twitter are playing an important role in highlighting the campaign.
Website address: www.let2ndlevel.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/let2ndlevel
- The LSP Community Meeting was held on 3rd of June. Dr. Maureen Griffin spoke about Internet safety. The Chair of the PTA Pat Fitzpatrick also had an opportunity to speak about the Parent Teacher Association and the Second Level School Campaign.
- A leaflet highlighting “A Year in the life of Limerick School Project Parent Teacher Association” was produced and sent home in all the school bags. This is hoped to encourage more involvement from the parent community.
- €2,000 raised by the Parent Teacher Association through the raffle and programme for the school show in February was transferred to the school to cover production costs. A further €500 has been made available from the Parent Teacher Association to cover the final outstanding costs of the show.
- Animal Magic visited for the day on June 10th at a cost of €350. This was a very successful visit with the children getting an opportunity to learn about animals in the wild and to handle many of them.
- The final Coffee Morning of the year was held on Friday the 12th of June and was well attended.
- The School has asked if the Parent Teacher Association could provide funds to put towards Aistear, the new program of structured play developed by the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA). €600 is to be made available for this.
- An NPC Training Workshop for parents on Mental Health and Your Child’s Wellbeing will be run in October 2015. This will be a free workshop for parents. Date to be annonuced in the new term.
- The Yard Party was hosted by the Parent Teacher Association on Friday the 19th of June. This was a wonderful way to round off the 25 year celebrations and was enjoyed by all the children. Entertainers included a Magician, Balloon artist, Puppet shows and Face painters. Giant games were run in the yard (snakes and ladders, checkers, etc.). There was a food bag for every child, popcorn, candy floss and an ice cream van. Cost of Yard Party is approx €1500. A number of Parent Volunteers turned up to support the event and their help made the day a great success.
- The next Parent Teacher Association AGM will take place on Thursday September 24th. New committee members will be elected and Parent Reps for the Board of Management will also be elected at the AGM. The Parent Teacher Association Constitution will be ratified at the AGM. The Constitution (Working Document) can be viewed on the LSP website. http://www.limerickschoolproject.ie/parent-teacher-constitution/
Have a great summer and thanks for all the support over the last year.
Parent Teacher Association
Monthly Updates – March /April
- Tai Chi – Tai chi classes continued on Thursdays throughout March and April with Tai Chi Instructor John Sheehan. Overall this has been a great success with positive feedback from both the children and the teachers. Classes are due to end on April 30th.
- The Playground – Workshops where held with all the classes on March the 2nd and 5th. Children were asked to imagine how they would like to see the schoolyard improved and enhanced. What is important to them when it comes to yard time? There was a great response from all the children.
- Second Level School. Meetings regarding setting up a group to campaign for an Educate Together Secondary School were held on the 19th of March and 17th of April. A working group has been formed. A website has been designed and can be found at http://let2ndlevel.com/ Please visit and share to let others know about it. Particularly can you fill in the Expression of Interest form if you would be interested in sending your child to an Educate Together secondary school. There is now also a Facebook Page which people are asked to LIKE and SHARE. https://www.facebook.com/let2ndlevel/timeline . Fundraising events will be taking place to provide funds to support this effort. Both the website and the Facebook page will be used to inform people of updates to the campaign.
- Great Limerick Run Kids Run – The Parent Teacher Association arranged for Trainers to visit the school and work with all the children in preparation for the Kids Run, May 2nd at UL sports arena. If you would like to register for the Kids Run go to greatlimerickrun.com
- Parental Involvement Policy – The Parent Teacher Association Committee reviewed LSP’s Parent Involvement Policy at the request of the Board of Management.
- Proceeds from the Magic of the Musicals – The raffle and programme sales from the school production Magic of the Musicals resulted in a profit of €2,000. This will be put towards the costs of putting on the show.
- Classroom Resources – €1000 was contributed towards classroom resources throughout LSP.
1. Poetry Day Ireland – Thursday, 7th May. The poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice will visit the school on May 7th for Poetry Day Ireland.
- LSP Spring Plant and Cake Sale – Friday, May 15th from 8.30am. All the classes have been planting for this year’s Plant and Cake sale. Come along and buy your child’s plant. There will also be cakes on sale, tea and coffee, and a raffle. All funds raised go towards extra curricular activities for the children. We need volunteers to help out on the day. From 8.15am onwards. If you can help please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Animal Magic to visit LSP – Thursday, May 21st. Animal Magic is a rehabilitation/rescue centre for orphaned and abandoned animals. They visit schools and bring along a selection of highly trained animals and birds and provide a unique learning opportunity for the students. Animal Magic will visit LSP on Thursday May 21st. You can check them out on animalmagic.ie
- 25th Year Celebratory Yard Party – Friday 19th June, 11am to 1pm. To mark the schools 25th year the Parent Teacher Association are organising a Yard Party for all the children. There will be entertainers, games, food and a few surprises.
If anyone has an idea for an event, a talk, an activity or would simply like to get in touch, you can email email@example.com